Why Choose Shopify Sections over Page Builders?
Shopify is one of the most popular e-commerce platforms available today, used by millions of businesses around the world. It's known for its user-friendly interface, comprehensive features, and flexibility in design. One of the most important aspects of creating an online store on Shopify is designing the layout and aesthetics. Two main options are available when it comes to designing a Shopify store: using themes and sections or using a page builder.
Shopify's native sections enable users to create and edit various blocks of content on a page, from headers to product descriptions, without needing coding knowledge. They are easy to use and are included with the theme that you choose to use or purchased separately, which can save users money as they don't have to buy additional apps or plugins. This feature is particularly useful for users who want to make small changes to their store without having to redesign the entire page. Users can also customize the sections according to their preferences and brand guidelines.
Shopify Page Builders
A page builder is a separate app that can be added to the Shopify store. The page builder provides users with more control over their store's design and layout. It allows users to drag and drop various elements onto the page, such as text boxes, images, and buttons. Users can also choose from a variety of pre-built templates to help them get started quickly. Page builders provide users with more creative control and are suitable for users who want to create unique designs.
Despite the advantages of page builders, there are several reasons why using sections may be the better option for designing a Shopify store.
- Simplicity: Using sections is often simpler and more straightforward than using a page builder. With sections, you can easily add and edit individual blocks of content without having to worry about complex design elements or layouts. This makes it easier for beginners to design their store and saves valuable time.
- Performance: Page builders can often be heavy and slow, which can impact the performance of your online store. This is especially true if you're using a lot of complex design elements or animations. By contrast, sections are lightweight and fast, which can help improve your store's overall performance and user experience.
- Consistency: When you use a page builder, it can be difficult to maintain consistency across your store's different pages. This is because each page may use a different layout or design elements, which can make your store feel disjointed and confusing. With sections, you can maintain a consistent look and feel across all your store's pages, which can help improve your branding and customer experience.
- Cost: Many page builders can be expensive, especially if you're looking for advanced features or support. By contrast, using sections is free and built into your theme or purchased separately, which can help you save money and stay within your budget.
On the other hand, there are certain advantages to using page builders when designing a Shopify store:
- Advanced features: Page builders come with advanced features that aren't available in Shopify's native sections. These features include animations, parallax scrolling, and advanced typography. Page builders can also allow users to add custom code or integrate with other apps or services, giving them greater control over the functionality of their store.
- Customization: Page builders provide users with more creative control and customization options than Shopify's built-in sections. Users can create unique designs, layouts, and elements that better reflect their brand and style. This is particularly important for businesses that want to stand out from their competitors and provide a unique shopping experience to their customers.
- Templates: Many page builders come with a variety of pre-built templates that users can choose from. These templates can be customized to fit their needs, which can save users time and effort. Additionally, templates can provide users with design inspiration or best practices for designing effective online stores.
- Integration: Many page builders integrate with other apps or services, allowing users to add more functionality to their store. For example, a user can integrate a page builder with an email marketing tool to create opt-in forms, or with a social media platform to add social sharing buttons. These integrations can help users improve their marketing efforts and provide a better experience for their customers.
The three most popular Shopify page builders are:
Shogun is a popular Shopify page builder that offers a variety of drag-and-drop design elements, as well as pre-built templates to help you get started.
One of the standout features of Shogun is its seamless integration with Shopify. This means that you can easily add and edit Shogun pages from within the Shopify dashboard.
In terms of pricing, Shogun offers a variety of plans starting at $39/month. There is also a limited free version as well.
PageFly is another popular Shopify page builder that offers a variety of drag-and-drop design elements, as well as pre-built templates.
One of the standout features of PageFly is its extensive library of pre-built templates. These templates are designed to work with a variety of different niches and industries, making it easy to find a template that fits your specific needs.
In terms of pricing, PageFly offers a variety of plans starting at $24/month. There is also a limited free version as well.
GemPages is a newer Shopify page builder that offers a variety of drag-and-drop design elements, as well as pre-built templates.
One of the standout features of GemPages is its emphasis on performance. GemPages is designed to be lightweight and fast, which can help improve your store's overall performance.
In terms of pricing, GemPages offers a variety of plans starting at $29/month. There is also a limited free version as well.
Using qwiqode Shopify sections
Qwiqode offers a variety of different types of “code snippets” in the form of sections that can be added to existing Shopify themes in order to provide additional and more flexible ways to display content. They are easy to install, without needing to hire a developer. You can do it yourself :)
There are different types of sliders/carousels to display products, collections and/ or testimonials. Various ways to attract visitors and many sections that include video capabilities. Some of these may already be part of your theme, but most probably, you’re limited with their features or styling options. We try to solve that by including a ton of settings giving you the freedom to achieve exactly what you want.
Head over to our product catalog to see the variety.
In conclusion, both Shopify's native sections and page builders have their advantages and disadvantages. Sections are a good choice for users who want a straight-forward, consistent online store that performs well and stays within their budget. On the other hand, page builders are better suited for users who want more creative control, advanced features, customization options, and integration with other apps or services.
Ultimately, the choice between using sections or a page builder will depend on the user's individual needs, preferences, and goals for their online store.